Laser eye surgery is an operation to correct the vision problems using laser technology. All surgical interventions carry a certain amount of risk which may or may not take place. Due to recent advances in laser technology, laser eye surgery is generally a safe procedure. That said, there are some side-effects and Complications of laser eye surgery which are rare, but you need to be aware of them. Some of us have a great fear of surgery and would like to try out alternatives to surgery in the first instance.
If your vision is failing or causing problems and you doctor recommends Laser eye surgery, then you should give it a very good thought. If you have made up your mind, NOT to have surgery, then you may want alternatives to laser eye surgery.
Alternatives to Laser Eye Surgery
* Opt for normal surgery which has been going on for ages and therefore has predictable results. This will also, correct vision problems.
* Continue to use corrective contact lens or spectacles which are worn to correct the vision without surgery.
* Opt for lensectomy where lens are implanted after removing the natural lens.
* Opt for artificial lens, which can be inserted without removing the original lens.
The latter 2 options seem to be a bit drastic and the best bet is to listen to your doctor’s advice.
* Intracorneal rings are available which can be placed inside the cornea for better and corrected vision. These rings make the cornea slightly flat so that the near sightedness is improved. They can be removed and the myopia will return.
* Eye Exercises: – These are simple, inexpensive, do not need a doctor’s guidance and have been there from the beginning of time. These eye exercises are done to improve the eyesight. They can be learnt and done anywhere and at any time and have no side effects.
Our ancestors lived without resorting to specs, lens or operations. They had good vision and very little problems except when they grew old and their eyesight naturally diminished. It could be that our lifestyle is to be blamed for our present problems. We do not use our eyes as nature intended. We read, watch television, and sit before a computer for hours and our vision suffers. Our eyes do not get enough exercise. If eyes are used as nature intended then there would be less problems and no need of laser eye surgeries or operations of any kind.
Bottom line:- Easy to say and difficult to practice. Listen to what your ophthalmologist says and discuss your fears.